Something to think about

Quotes: I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. (Maya Angelou)..The destiny of every human being is decided by what goes on inside his skull when confronted by what goes on outside his skull. (Eric Berne).. Work while you work, play while you play - this is a basic rule of repressive self-discipline. (Theodor W. Adorno)

Sunday 7 June 2015

12 Love's labours lost

At the ripe old age of four, I fall head over heels in love for the first time. It is a sobering experience and in later life I will try hard to avoid such dilemmas, though, in retrospect, they caught up with me now and again, usually with disastrous consequences. My hero is blond and has a florid complexion. He is stodgy and wears short grey flannel trousers and scratchy, hairy, hand-knitted, gaudily Fair-isle patterned jumpers. His name is George. He is as shy and inhibited as I am, so we do not talk about our mutual affection. In fact, I never actually find out if he loves me with the same breadth, width and depth as I love him.
One day, George is called to order by the indomitable Miss Jones. To my horror, George is immediately sent out of class to stand in the corridor and ponder over his wrong-doings. From my seat at the rear I am indignant because it is plainly not George’s fault. I feel compelled to say so.
"It’s wasn’t him, Miss!" I protest, as poor George makes for the door, hands in his grey flannel pockets, his shoulders hunched and his moist eyes firmly fixed on his metal toe-caps. Clip-clap, clip-clap retreating at a snail’s pace, his feet at an angle of about forty-five degrees inwards, he has to endure Auntie Ada’s sharp ‘Hurry up boy, you’re wasting my time,’ shouted in his wake. ‘For heaven’s sake straighten up and don’t turn your feet in!’ His shame is stunting his exit, made awkward by his reluctance to take one had out of a pocket and open the door.
“Miss, it wasn’t him,” I insist.
"You stupid girl, how do you know?" Miss Jones snaps in the voice reserved for wrongdoers and me. "You’d better go outside, too!"
I am humiliated. My brave but ineffectual attempt to achieve justice has fallen on deaf ears and to make things worse, I am now to be punished for my trouble.
I slink ashamedly to the door. George leaves it open for me and I go past him close enough to hear him sniff.
"And mind you don’t talk or there’ll be worse punishment to come."
Auntie Ada’s triumph is out of all proportion to her achievement. Her stentorian tones echo down the long corridor.
“And close the door, will you, will you, will you!”
George shuts the door with a bang that makes him shrink even further into his pullover.
Fear is united with apprehension. I am apprehensive, and George is fearful. How will she know if we talk, when we are the other side of the closed door? Is there any truth in the saying that walls have ears? I desperately want to explain to George that I defended him because I love him, but the words will not come out. My throat is stuck together and my eyes are too dry even for the tears of fury I tend to shed when all else fails.
George stands next to the door, his hands jammed into his pockets, salt-lake-city tears streaming down his flushed face. I think he’s a bit sissy, crying like that. I move to the other side of the corridor to be quite sure nobody thinks we are together. He still has my sympathy but I am certainly not tearful. I am defiant and indignant at the injustice of my own fate. Love is not on my mind at this moment.
Even love of George has its limits.
I reach a decision. Ignoring poor, snivelling George’s distress, his tears having now dissolved into little sobs and sniffs, I surreptitiously desert the school precincts and set off down the main road, not towards home, but into town.
How can smelly Miss Jones do this to me, her own flesh and blood, I am thinking, and my footsteps increase in pace and take on a momentum of their own. How I hate her. She is a hag, a gnome, a dwarf, a spider, a boil, an ogre. She is a buck-toothed dragon in disguise. She roasts little children on toasting forks and eats them up. She is the witch in all the fairy stories. She is wicked and horrible.
I hate her. I hate her. I hate her.
When I look around me, I realise that I have walked as far as Church Street, where all the main shops are. I feel really proud of myself. I’ve never been allowed to do this on my own because there are a lot of wicked people around here and even if Mama doesn’t show me much affection, she does protect me as well as she can, usually by frightening me with vague stories about undefined evils which await me if I stray.
I remember walking down the road between the greengrocer’s and the butcher’s one day. Mama always paused to look in all the shop windows. That day she was wearing a fur coat and dawdling a lot with me hanging on to her as usual by hitching my arm through the space between her sleeve that contained an arm bent to hold her bag, and the coat. I looked up. The coat was on someone else, a complete stranger. Mama had either forgotten me or left me behind deliberately. I must have screamed, because soon a little crowd had gathered round me. The woman wearing the coat looked confused. After a couple of minutes Mama came out of a shop to see what the row was all about. I got a smack, though I had done nothing wrong. I think she should have smacked herself. What a good job children are forgiving.
The church clock strikes two-thirty. If I wander around the shops for a bit, I’ll get back home again at exactly the same time as I usually do. I have forgotten all about my aunt and her rusty bicycle scraping homewards.
I decide to take a detour round Woolworth’s sweet counter. I do not, however, escape notice.
"Well, little Miss, lost our Mummy, have we?" a gruff voice asks.
Looking upwards, I see who the voice belongs to. It is the local bobby in his uniform with brass buttons and a helmet that makes him look like a giant. My heart misses at least one beat. With great presence of mind I smile at him quite normally.
“My Mummy’s over there," I lie, pointing to the farthest corner of the store.
"Ah. Then I’ll take you to her, shall I?" he offers, looking around.
In an instant I know what I have to do. I dart for the freedom of the street. I run as hard and fast as I can, not daring to look behind me. I run and run and run until I reach the churchyard, where I curl up small behind the pompous stone memorial to the dead of World War I. Surely he won’t find me here and arrest me for loitering?
I wait with baited breath. Silence. I am safe. But I’d better stay where I am for the time being.
Rolled up in a ball, I soon fall asleep with exhaustion from running from the law and holding my breath and being furious with George and Auntie Ada and the rest of the world, and only wake to the sound of bell-ringers practising. It is seven thirty in the evening, and I have been missing for five hours.
I‘d better go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment