Something to think about

Quotes: I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. (Maya Angelou)..The destiny of every human being is decided by what goes on inside his skull when confronted by what goes on outside his skull. (Eric Berne).. Work while you work, play while you play - this is a basic rule of repressive self-discipline. (Theodor W. Adorno)

Tuesday 9 June 2015

22 Cantata

The business now in hand is the cantata, which is coming together after many exasperating and tedious rehearsals. I am almost 10 years old and I would like to sing a solo, but I’m not going to. There was early mention of me doing so, but the organist’s brother’s wife’s sister’s niece arrives from the back of nowhere in the USA,, so I’m on the back burner and quickly grasping that it’s not what, but who you know that really matters, an experience that is to be repeated many times over in different guises.
In the midst of what would probably have been called ‘Treachery at the Chapel’ if Agatha Christie had been writing the story, I have good reason to think back to my own finest hour so far. Uncle Frank’s rare excursions did include special events at the chapel, and he had been there the first time I sang in public, ages ago at a Sunday School concert in aid of the Sunday School annual excursion to Blackpool, and therefore very important.
Picture it. I am five years old. They are holding a concert in the chapel. I am dressed in a long organza frock and matching lilac apron, with a Biedermeier straw bonnet perched on my head and tied under my chin with satin ribbons. I am carrying a small wicker basket with flowers in it. I look like the porcelain figure on Mama’s mantlepiece. I am about to sing a duet with my infant school sweetheart, George, who is no longer my sweetheart, but has a nice voice. The song is called "Oh no John, no John, no John, no!" and I am the lady and George is John. Standing on a stage just singing anything to anyone is my idea of heaven, so I’m happy to sing about John with George, though he is not as stage-struck or as ambitious as I already am.
The chapel is full and George, now assured of my esteem after offering me half his bar of chocolate, unfortunately looks as if he is about to fill his velvet Biedermeier  bloomers with something unmentionable. Lucky for him, someone else notices it, too, and he is ushered to the bathroom with seconds to spare.
George is certainly not an artist’s dream stage partner, being reluctant to make an exhibition of himself, which is a reservation that never crosses my mind. You can’t accuse him of having a professional attitude and this is going to be the very last time he will let himself in for something so painful. I know that, because he tells me.
This is the start of my illustrious career, I am sure.
George’s voice is husky on the day. He gets the words mixed up and his gestures are amateur, but I have practised it all in front of the mirror. My voice is anything but the voice of a five year old. I don’t know where it comes from. It’s like magic. I open my mouth and out come these pretty sounds. At least, I’m told they are pretty. I stand on one side of the pulpit and George stands on the other. We are accompanied on the piano by Miss Thomas because the regular church pianist cum organist is going to conduct the orchestra, which consists of the organ, Miss Crow on descant recorder, and Mr Fortune on the fiddle, so he is resting up in the vestry and drinking something that looks like egg from a flask he has brought from home. Miss Thomas very often sleeps through the sermon when it’s her turn to do the Sunday service, because from Monday to Saturday she has to work long hours behind the counter at the post-office and push her ancient mother around town the rest of the time. But it’s unlikely that she will nod off today with all that racket going on when the orchestra plays its divertimenti, which Mama later says weren’t a bit diverting, but certainly mental.
Mama likes playing with words.
Our vocal rendering of Oh No John No John No is greeted with ecstatic approval. The applause goes on so long that I have already removed apron and bonnet to get back into my ordinary clothes ready for the next item.
"Encore" the people insist, and someone tries to unravel the knot in my apron that I made getting it off in a hurry and tie my bonnet back on again. I try to look calm and collected though my cheeks are burning with excitement and I’m going to have to do the whole song by myself because scaredy-pants George has refused point blank to repeat his ordeal and has run off and hidden to be quite sure that no one coerces him.
George is consigned to my bad memory chest.
A few weeks later Uncle Frank rewards us all with a huge knees-up in a nearby chapel hall. He says my singing is the nicest thing that has happened to him since dear Auntie Sylvia died, and I agree, especially as I’ve never before seen so much food all at once.
The cantata being hashed up this time, five years or so after the George episode, is called ‘God’s Little Children’ and will consist of me keeping things going in the back row, while the organist’s brother’s wife’s sister’s niece, who has only a modest singing voice, wiggles her chin like a budgerigar when she sings, and has next to no musicality despite the accolades that have proceeded her arrival, is up in the pulpit singing all the nice bits I should have been singing.
It will be of no satisfaction at all to have people asking me why I haven’t sung on my own. I want to sing, not make excuses for not doing so. My whole being cries out to be heard. I will be heard, that’s for sure, in much greater places than this. The prophet is not acknowledged in his own country, Dada says.
God might have a hand in blessing the general idea of performing a cantata, but even God can’t hear my pleas in terms of pushing my rival down the vicarage stairs to eliminate her, so he won’t hear my singing this time round, unless he thinks of something quickly of his own accord. In fact, I think this is the first time that I have started to doubt the very existence of God.
Perhaps he doesn’t even want me to sing. What sort of a god is that?
Perhaps I should be praying, like the preacher said in last Sunday’s sermon. Praying for divine guidance to help me suffocate my pagan urges, which include scraping the bowl out after Mama’s made a cake, squeezing raw sausage meat out of the skin and eating it before it can get to the frying-pan, and munching pieces of raw potato even though they are bad for you, not to mention reading in bed when you should be asleep hours ago.
But singing isn’t pagan. Everyone says else it’s a gift from God. So why doesn’t God want to hear it? Surely he’d like to check up on progress. And with a little bit of elbow he could get me back into the limelight, where I am sure I belong.
As I intimated just now, religion isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
Of course, I don’t know if the preacher’s sermon was really aimed at me. The church with the barbed-wire fence is in the news again, and the holier-than-thou pressed material congregation is up in arms, despite it being the ‘enemy’ on the other side of the street.
A choir boy has spilt some beans. Despite my nine going on ten years I can’t hazard a guess as to why the Catholics have beans in their church. I ask Mama, but she tells me it’s just a turn of phrase and I am to mind my own business and stop speculating about things I do not understand, and never will, if she has her say.
But I am curious, so I go to the library and read the local weekly advertiser, our copy of which was for some unfathomable reason put on the fire almost the minute it arrived.
The library is a good place for finding out things you are not supposed to know. There I can read all about them in peace if I hide whatever it is I wish to peruse between two large children’s atlases and transport it to behind the section on sports and hobbies at the far end of the building.
Mama is right. Beans don’t come into it. A choirboy has brought disgrace on the community, except that the disgrace seems to be his attempt to escape from the clutches of this ‘man of God’ rather than the violation perpetrated on him. To add insult to injury, the barbed-wire priest has left with the silver candle-sticks for an unknown destination. The church is infinitely more anxious about the whereabouts of the candle-sticks than the souls of its parishioners, I notice.
This report makes such a deep impression on me that I instantly memorize it. Then I borrow a book on birds in your garden and carry it home as an alibi, in case someone has seen me in the vicinity of the library. You can’t be too careful.
Now the barbed-wire church is locked day and night while they try to get a replacement priest and avoid having the remaining treasure stolen. No one is allowed in, the choirboys no longer play football on the ancient graveyard and the service they call Mass is being held at the Catholic school. Since I am not officially allowed to talk to Catholics – and anyway most of them are too ashamed of the goings-on under their noses to leave the house during daylight - I frequently resort to my book-borrowing tactics, but persistent as I am, I can’t find out any more about what is going on than I clandestinely read in the well-thumbed newspapers.
One side-effect of my preoccupation with the morals of the cloth is that Mama thinks I am at last forgetting the singing nonsense and doing something educational for my future, but to her ultimate annoyance whatever occupies me transiently never ever quenches my theatrical ambitions.
Need I say that the trials and tribulations of getting the cantata up and running in our little chapel are, despite the frequent bitching and holier-than-thou attitude of the believers on our side of the Christian fence, small fry in comparison with the juicy and scandalous events on the other side. There isn’t an angel in sight and the barbed-wire priest must surely have taken his guardian angel with him, which makes you wonder how discerning angels actually are.
I think our preacher should be praying for his colleague the priest. After all, they both work for the same boss. And the American relative of the vicar who messed up my musical ambitions, is not the only well-connected person to do so, but that's another story.

I’ll never understand grownups.

No comments:

Post a Comment