Something to think about

Quotes: I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. (Maya Angelou)..The destiny of every human being is decided by what goes on inside his skull when confronted by what goes on outside his skull. (Eric Berne).. Work while you work, play while you play - this is a basic rule of repressive self-discipline. (Theodor W. Adorno)

Wednesday 10 June 2015

28 Be prepared

I am now at the end of junior school, having passed the 11+ and thus qualified for grammar school. I have been so good at my lessons and so ingenious at the obligatory IQ tests that I have jumped a class to become the youngest in the next one up and only have 4 primary school years instead of 5. 
In this final year at the school opposite where we live, my class teacher is Mr Williams, a rather undersized, middle-aged man with a nice sense of humour and a terrific talent for playing the piano, though, on his own admission, he cannot read a note of music. This causes Mama to be very scathing, but I don’t listen to her as much as I used to, so I can appreciate Mr Williams for what he is.
My childish ambition to be a pianist has long been dashed by an accident. I crushed my elbow and suffered what people in the know called a green-stick fracture of the elbow and forearm at the age of seven. It was my own fault. The optician had put atropine drops in my eyes and I went out on my bicycle before they wore off. A big black dog got in the way and the rest is history.
If Mama had not repeated over and over again that it was my own silly fault, and shown me hardly any sympathy for what was almost the end of my world, maybe I would be somewhere else today. But the realisation that it would take a long time to straighten my arm again - the medical treatment having been to tie it in a bent position - did something drastic to my psyche. The childish voice that had entertained my uncle at chapel concerts suddenly asserted itself with a vengeance. At the age of about nine and three quarters I finally confessed to my school friend Hilary that I was going to be an opera singer. Since neither she nor I knew exactly what that entailed she wasn’t unduly impressed. In fact, she laughed at me. But I was used to that from Mama. And that was to become the proverbial red rag to the bull, though I didn’t know it at the time.
Hilary lives in a long street at the bottom of our hill together with her elder sister and next door to her cousins who are boys and therefore of no interest to me since I have brother and that’s as much as I can take of the opposite sex. Hilary is the tallest girl in our class. She’s an enthusiastic brownie. She can ride a bike with no hands, and she plays the piano rather well. Sometimes I go there after school. I stand outside their lounge window and watch her practising her scales, bouncing around on the piano stool, her hands whizzing up and down the keys. Her face is furrowed with concentration, but it usually is whatever she’s doing.
There is something incredibly competent about Hilary. Sometimes I think she’s more mature than my own mother, though she can’t be more than a year or so older than me. I am acutely aware of her intelligence. Her mother is nice, too. They have the same straight beige hair and low forehead like Queen Elizabeth the First before they shaved off her widow’s peak off. We have the same surname, but Hilary’s family laughs a lot, in contrast to my solemn, sad family.
I like going places where people laugh. We don’t have much to laugh about at home, now Dada is so ill. Somehow I get the feeling that they know that I am suffering. My elbow has long since healed, but I’ve lost the urge to be really good at the piano, because the sinews in my right arm hurt as soon as I stretch them. So I sing instead, secretly, or so I think, but who can sing secretly?
I owe my stunted career as a brownie to Hilary. She drags me along to one of the meetings, and before I can say ‘brown owl’ I have sworn allegiance and am given instructions about the first set of tasks I have to complete to get the same row of embroidered badges on my blouse as all the others.
First I am to use a public telephone. We have a phone of our own at home, but I am assured that it is important to be able to communicate by using a phone box. Equipped with some coins, I am sent out on my own to look for such a contraption. I have written the required phone number on the palm of my hand and I am confident that I am up to the challenge.
"There’s one just down the road," says Hilary. “Shall I go with her?”
"It’s all right, Hilary," I insist. "I can find it by myself."
I set off at a brisk pace. Brownie miles are longer than ordinary ones, I discover. ‘Just down the road’ turns out to be about a brownie mile away. Not only that. Someone else has got there before me and has made off with the telephone, leaving its wire hanging down dismally at the side. What shall I do now?
I look at my watch. The meeting started at seven, I set off at seven thirty, and it’s now eight o’clock. That means they’ll be starting to get bothered that I haven’t rung. But if I go back without phoning, I won’t get the badge, so I decide to go on walking. Half an hour later - presumably the phones boxes are placed at brownie mile intervals along the road - the next one looms into sight. It is now quite dark and misty. I am a little afraid. Not without difficulty do I swing the stubborn door open, pick up the phone, and realise that I have lost the coins. I am devastated. What shall I do now? I am a brownie. I should know what to do. I should be prepared.
It is half past eight and the guide meeting will be drawing to a close and I should be back there being awarded my first badge. Instead, I am in the middle of nowhere in a phone box without any money. I squint at the writing on the wall ahead of me. It has instructions for using the phone. You take it off the hook, dial the exchange, then say the number and put the coins in when the voice tells you to. In case of emergency, dial....
In a moment of inspiration, I realise that this is an emergency. I dial 999 and wait. Sure enough, a friendly voice answers: "Fire, ambulance or police?".
"Help!" I stutter.
"Fire, ambulance or police?" the voice insists.
"It’s me," I manage, “…I...”
"Oh really?" the voice chips in and next thing I hear is the toot at my end of the phone telling me that my call has been terminated.
Again I am devastated. I haven’t had time to tell them where I am. There’s nothing for it but to repeat the procedure.
This time the voice takes on a vicious note when I try to explain what I want.
"Oh, it’s you again. I thought it was a silly joke."
"Well it isn’t. I’m a brownie and I’ve lost my money."
"Brownies know what to do when they haven’t got any money," the voice chides.
"I’ve only been a brownie for a week and I haven’t got my badge for not having any money," I sob into the phone.
The voice starts to sound concerned.
"I’ll put you through to the police," it says.
The police are obviously more used to handling cries for help. After I have sobbed out my miserable story, the policeman says:
"Well, this is Police Constable Prior and we’ll come and collect you in our police car if you tell us where you are."
"I’m miles up the road from the brownies in the second phone box," I explain rather ambiguously. I know neither the name of the road nor the direction it is taking, but the policeman seems to understand.
“Stay where you are. We’ll be there in 5 minutes ... And don’t talk to anybody."
As if I could. There isn’t a soul in sight.
Sure enough, five minutes later the police car draws up, and my mission impossible comes to a rather ignominious end on the back seat of a Black Maria.
When we arrive back at the brownie meeting house, everyone has gone home. Nobody has even thought of informing anyone that I have gone missing. They have probably forgotten all about me. The police take me home in their car and explain to Mama what has happened. They say they are going to take action against the brownies. Mama threatens to take action of her own.
Hilary is amused when I tell her about my misfortune.
"What a pity you missed the pow-wow," she says. "When I did the phoning badge I just went home and phoned from there and pretended to be in a phone box."
What a fiddle.
"Why didn’t you tell me that?" I reproach her.
"Because you wouldn’t let me go with you," Hilary replies.
She almost stops being my friend at that moment.
The following week there is an almighty row at the meeting. The boy-scout leader has come to sort things out and is really cross with the brownie leader for allowing a novice out alone without supervision. I am to get my phoning badge for trying and an extra badge for initiative, because I have phoned the police when in difficulties. I get a round of applause for this second badge because it’s not an easy one to get, since you have to rescue people and do other heroic things for it. And they don’t grow on trees.

Even Hilary is impressed. But my enthusiasm for the brownies has been severely undermined. I never go there again, though I do join in one or two of Hilary’s extramural escapades.

No comments:

Post a Comment