Something to think about

Quotes: I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. (Maya Angelou)..The destiny of every human being is decided by what goes on inside his skull when confronted by what goes on outside his skull. (Eric Berne).. Work while you work, play while you play - this is a basic rule of repressive self-discipline. (Theodor W. Adorno)

Tuesday 16 June 2015

40 Homeless

One of the hazards of leaving home is having nowhere to go, either because you have not planned anything, or because your plans are thwarted in some way. The former hazard applies to me and I cannot understand to this day why I never thought about it. I was going to London. That’s all that mattered. Where I was going to lay my weary head was a question I had simply not asked.
Of course, lots of people just up and leave. Some go without telling anyone. They put a coat on and go off down the road to the cigarette machine or the pub and are never seen again. Quite extraordinary and you wonder if they have been thinking about disappearing for some time, or have decided on the spur of the moment that they do not wish to continue life as it was. Presumably no thought is given for anyone left behind. Eyes and thoughts are on the future and to hell with the present.
If most of those who disappear survive, and presumably they do, how do they manage to cover their tracks so efficiently? Why doesn’t anyone ever see them leave or even catch up with them before they can disappear completely? Often a crime is suspected, and justifiably so, if the missing person is a child that has been kidnapped or someone with hitherto suppressed criminal energy. What has started out as an adventure can end in murder if drugs or corruption are the motivating factors in the disappearance. Upwards of 275 thousand people go missing every year in the UK, I have just read. Someone is recorded by the police as missing every 2 minutes. How about that [I should add that these figure are official for about 2012 and were found during a review of this autobiography in 2015. The Missing Persons bureau is kept busy].
For reasons of their own, countless people take off for distant, often exotic destinations simply because they want to be far away enough to be make it impossible to find them. They just pop over to Australia or Brazil and start off a new life. Some of them have an accomplice, but most don’t.
Whatever makes these people leave home, it must be something pretty dramatic. The people left behind don’t usually have an inkling why their spouse, kid, or lodger has gone, or at least, they make out that this is the case. Money is seldom the reason. Debtors tend to brazen it out. And a strange metamorphosis overcomes those left behind. Whatever the relationship has been like, there is a genuine desire to have the renegade back, to make up for past errors, to heal wounds, and so forth. But it is usually too late, and that is perhaps the reason for the fervour of these belated yearnings.
For those who leave I suppose it’s quite frequently a case of choosing between an existence which has become intolerable and the fulfilment of a dream and the key to freedom, without the shackles of dependants or friends, neighbours or colleagues. So eager are these people to escape that they usually leave all their possessions behind. Every day there are plaintive appeals in the press for people to come back home, and the sole job of missing persons agencies is to trace the absconders and drag them back to the life from which they have run away.
None of this applies to me, though on reflection the effects of leaving home at 17 were just as drastic.
Having secured my place at music college, I have gone back to my daily routine, which includes exams, tennis, parties, a tentative, radically unfulfilling romance in the form of traipsing after my sort of boyfriend and his sort of jazz band – the Paris episode having been short-lived. Not to be forgotten are the endless hours of small talk about boys, boys and boys in that order with various girl friends in the High Street coffee shop.
For me the act of leaving home is painful. I am not running away like the other 275 thousand. I will be going through the painful experience of leaving a protected atmosphere.  That probably explains why the whole idea of getting somewhere to live has been postponed until there are only 2 weeks left in which to find somewhere.
I have not really considered how I would feel about never again seeing the people with whom I have shared so many of my waking hours for the last five years or so. As it transpires, that last day at school is for me the absolute end of an era.
I am one of the fortunate few who have a guaranteed future – or so I like to think. Most of my class-mates are waiting anxiously for exam results, because their future depends on them. A place at the Royal Academy of Music in the performers’ section is allocated purely on talent proven in an audition. I’m later not surprised to learn that relatively few have even bothered with advanced exams if they are planning a concert career. I know exactly how they feel. I have found it very difficult to concentrate after having my name in the paper and everyone congratulating me on my good fortune to get such a coveted place. I am quite a celebrity and bathing in the admiration showered on me.
It never even dawns on me that there might have been stiff competition for a place and I never even ask how many were turned down. I had never encountered any rivals, and I have no reason to believe that I can’t cope with anything that comes my way. This optimistic approach stood me in good stead, even when the going was particularly hard. Defeat came much later in life in a guise that I didn’t recognize and never would have believed possible. I thought marriage partners were supportive. The bitter truth is that they are not always. Partners in the same profession have rivalry problems I did not know existed until it was too late. But that’s another story.
A few weeks before my adventure in London begins and not much more than a year before my father’s final journey through that valley reserved for the sick and dying, his much older brother Norman, with whom he had had very little contact for many years, dies after a long illness. This event makes my impending move to the Big Smoke fade into even blinder insignificance, which is unfortunate because, as I have already explained at length, I have nowhere to live and little idea how to solve the problem.
I don’t know what kind of a person Dad’s brother Norman (Uncle Nom) was. Circumstances spread Dad’s siblings far and wide, and Dad would probably never have known about Uncle Nom’s demise, had not Aunt Jane kept a tight rein on the family fortunes, which in our case had nothing to do with money, there being none, but everything to do with the fate of every conceivable degree of relative.
Uncle Nom married late, like most of Dad’s relations. Since fate had transported him to a poorer suburb of Manchester to pursue some kind of white-collar work of a lowly kind, it was there that he found happiness.
Dora, his widow, wanted to give Uncle Nom a big send-off. She found Aunt Jane's address among Uncle Nom 's papers and bravely phoned up to see if anyone would like to attend the ‘festivities’. I can only assume that contact between uncle nom and his siblings had all but ceased after he married Dora, who was extremely humble, though I’m quite sure my Dad would never have thought less of her for that. Sadly, my father was too stricken with his own sickness by then to be concerned about others in the family.
Dad can no longer drive. His health is deteriorating fast and on bad days I drive him around when he needs to go somewhere, especially if a longer distance is involved. That is why I have gained my driving licence at the earliest opportunity, with Dad as my teacher, though he sent me to a driving school to make sure I knew everything I would have to know at the driving test. To this day I can hear Dad’s instructions. When I overtake, I still make sure I can see the whole vehicle I have overtaken before moving back in. I think ahead and drive defensively. When I am in my car he is still with me. That may be why I love driving so much.
The journey to Manchester is not going to be pleasant. I have never driven such a long way before, and I am nervous about finding the way and what might happen if Dada is too ill to cope. We set off early. Mum is staying at home. She doesn't like funerals. Seven of her relatives passed away in quick succession and she can't face the lugubrious faces at the funeral itself and the forced jollity at the wake thereafter. The other reason is that she does not want to spend the day with someone else’s relations. Mum has never really taken Dad’s family on board. I’m not even sure she knows all their names.
We make our way to the back street of the Manchester suburb through the perennial Manchester drizzle. The streets and rows of terraced houses all look much the same except for the variegated net curtains, but Dada has an unerring sense of direction. He is feeling fairly well, but I know he is glad to have me with him.
Our spirits are low.
We enter the small terraced abode, sparkling with cleanliness and furnished comfortably, and embrace Dora, who is very small and looks tired and washed out in her black mourning outfit. Most of the other people who are joining the procession to the crematorium have already arrived, and presently the funeral car appears bearing the modest wooden coffin and covered with a mound of flowers. We set off in order of precedence. We are three cars back, after Dora and her family, and other members of Norman and Dad’s family.
Manchester is a big city and it is mid-morning. The procession following the hearse is travelling at about 5 miles per hour, which is hardly more than walking speed. We are holding the traffic up, but nobody is protesting. Whoever the silent passenger in the hearse happens to be, the Mancunians doff their caps and allow things to proceed in dignity. There is no real hurry to get to our destination.
I have real difficulty in following the leaders of this sorry procession, so blurred are my eyes from the tears I am shedding for us all. Dad sits quietly, occasionally giving me directions when I lose sight of the way forward. This isn’t the time for small talk and Dad has his own grieving to do. Eventually we get to the crematorium. I have no recollection of the chapel, the service, the people, or anything else. The only thing that stands out in my mind is what happened afterwards.
We are gathered on the lawn outside the reception area. It is raining and bleak. We are all gripped by sadness. Suddenly there is a familiar voice. Aunt Ada the witch-dragon has brought her camera along. I remember that as usual she has a cigarette dangling from the corner of her mouth. She is dressed slightly more modestly than usual, but with a frivolous and entirely unsuitable hat with feathers and froth perched rakishly on her thin wisps of crimped hair. As always, she is bare-footed except for open sandals showing scarlet lacquered toenails.
“Come along, everyone! Get in a row, will you?” she is shouting against the wind. “Let’s make a record of all the family together.”
To my utter surprise, instead of protesting that this is not the time or place, the whole bunch of mourners, except for me, arranged itself in a semi-circle and poses.
“That’s nice,” the witch-dragon praises.
“Faith, get next to your father!”
“No.”
“Come along, girl. This is the only chance I ever have of getting the whole family together.”
Except for the one in whose honour we are here, I am thinking. And me, of course. I think what she is doing is in appalling taste and I’m not going to be forced to condone it.
Down the years the witch-dragon has been recording every funeral of every relative and friend she has attended. She takes morbid delight in lining up grief-stricken people with tear-stained faces.
I stand my ground.
“Well, with your father, then,” she is saying. “You never know when it’s going to be the last time…”
Her callous words echo to this day. In the end, I did I pose for that photograph, but I never saw it, or any of the others, for that matter.
Then it is all over. We clamber back into our cars and drive back to Dora’s little house, this time at a cracking pace, with me terrified at the traffic and Dad trying to keep me from taking wrong turns.
“Don’t think any more about Ada,” he advises. “She’s always been like that. She doesn’t mean to be cruel.”
“I hate her,” I admit. “She has no feelings and no tact.”
“That’s true,” says Dad. “But if we behave like she does, we are no better. Pull yourself together now. Norman had a good life and nothing can bring him back. We’ll eat a sandwich and drink some tea so as not to hurt Dora’s feelings, and then we’ll make for home.”
“Promise?”
“Promise.”
And so it was. We joined the group overflowing the tiny sitting room with the three-piece suite, glass cabinet and little tables and piping hot tea and fresh ham on tiny triangles of bread and said very little. Dad went out of the room once and talked to Dora for a bit, pressing some pound notes into her hand to cover some of the costs. Dad was like that. Then he gave me a nod and we made our apologies that it was a long drive home.
Exactly one year later it was my father’s turn for the black limousine and the witch-dragon again took out her camera and told us to line up. This time I screamed at her and fled. It was to be the last time I attended a funeral with her. And the funeral for her, a good twenty years later, was related to me by Mum and my brother, whose account was certainly more neutral and made me laugh heartily.
And the lodgings? What about them?

My father has days when he is not quite so ill and his breathing is not quite so laboured. He phones people on the outskirts of London where he has himself had lodgings and persuades them to give me a bed while I look for somewhere. So that problem is solved with one phone-call. I am nearly a student and nearly a lodger, and Mum fondly thinks I will be more out of harm’s way than at a youth hostel, which was going to be my fate had this stroke of luck not struck.

No comments:

Post a Comment